Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Animal That I Have Become

Ok, so I already did three Blogs on character building, but this blog is going to be pretty focused. This week, we're going to be covering my favorite Untold Race, the L'na. First off, you can find out almost everything you need to know about L'na here: http://www.untoldthegame.com/ss/race/lna.

I love the L'na, which shouldn't come as a surprise. I grew up loving Pokemon, Monster Rancher, and Digimon; so when I first saw the L'na in Untold, I knew they were for me. They may look all cute and fuzzy, but trust me when I say that they are real beasts. When I play a L'na, I try to embrace my inner animal and my character builds show that. But before we jump into character builds, let's talk a little bit about the L'na as a whole.

Hailing from the magical plane of Ai, the L'na can be subcategorized into two groups: Dawns and Twilights. Dawns are users of powerful elemental magics, bending the forces of nature to their will. Twilights are master mentalists, using psionics and other mind powers to confound, confuse, and control their enemies. L'na are incredibly strong and flexible and can be used in a variety of settings to great success. I'm not partial to either Twilights or Dawns, but enjoy playing both of them, as they both have their advantages.

Ok, so let's talk a little bit about character builds. With L'na, it's vital to balance your Character Deck and your Swap Buffer. A majority of L'na powers come in the form of Hot Swaps, and you want a decent sized buffer to handle them. However, with this in mind, don't forsake you Character deck. Balance is the key. I usually take a 60/40 approach when building a L'na, around 60% of my UP goes into the Character deck and 40% goes into the Swap Buffer. I use a majority for the Character deck to balance out my Aspect scores and other defensive abilities, and use only 40% since I'll usually only be casting one or two spells a turn. However, once I start to gain more UP, I'll put most of it into the Swap Buffer. A little confusing but it works. But I strongly encourage you to experiment with your builds and find a combination that works the best for you.

Ok, so let's take a look at a L'na Dawn build. My L'na Dawn, Icewind the Ghost of the North, is a master of ice, snow, and wind. He conjures massive blizzards in a moments notice, and leaves a trail of icy destruction in his wake. A combination a snow leopard and a bird of prey, Icewind is a cold-blooded killer. So, let's take a look at the Character deck:

Total UP- 70

Character Deck- 51 UP

L'na Dawn
Body 2
Mind 2
Soul 3
Arcane Lore
Awareness
Body of Air
Fearless
Hunter's Hearing
Investiture of Oaze
Quick Response
Sigil of Protection
Storm's Blessing
Winter's Blessing

Alright, so this is the lay-out. Body of Air is a useful, defensive card against physical hits and is complimented nicely by Sigil of Protection, which offers spiritual defense. Fearless and Hunter's Hearing help give Icewind an edge in certain situations. And every character should run Quick Response for the Int. bonus. Investiture of Oaze, Storm's Blessing, and Winter's Blessing are all pre-req cards but all have their benefits. Oaze offers some telekinetic abilites, and the Blessing cards give you some control of storms and blizzards. So, already Icewind is a powerhouse. So, let's take a look at the Swap Buffer:

Swap Buffer: 19 UP
Armor of Oaze
Bonds of Ice
Claws of Iron
Concussive Cone
Deafening Roar
Fling
Fog Bank
Force Blast
Frost Breath
Frost Touch
Gift of Regeneration
Gust of Wind
Hammering Blow
Ice Snap
Ice Spear
Lightning Scourge
Lightning Strike
Relentless Gale
Shatter
Soar On The Wind
Stormcaller
Thunder
Webs of Force

Alright, so this is where Icewind really shines. Icewind is a four-legged force of nature, wielding the powers of ice, wind, and lightning to devastating effect. He has some defensive capabilities and healing powers with Armor of Oaze and Gift of Regeneration. Fog Bank is a great control card, allowing much needed cover in open areas. However, Icewind is an offensive powerhouse. Spells like Concussive Cone, Ice Snap, and Lightning Strike can all do massive amounts of MAG in a short time.

If you haven't noticed, while this deck is primarily built using the Gifts of Oaze, it is reinforced by the Primal Powers deck. Primal Powers is a great deck to back up elemental powers, and compliments the Gifts of Oaze very well. I highly recommend it for anyone playing elemental magic users, especially L'na Dawns.

Ok, so let's take a look at L'na Twilights. If you haven't gathered by now, I have a L'na Twilight that I love: Shadow. Shadow is a mental monster, using his powers over the mind to render his opponents useless before ripping them to shreds. I'll be posting a slightly modified version of the Shadow deck I posted earlier. So, here's the Character deck:

Total UP- 70

Character Deck- 40 UP
L'na Twilight
Body 3
Mind 2
Soul 2
Quick Reponse
Hunter's Hearing
Stealthy
Investiture of Maoru
Invisible Hunter
Sigil of Protection
Venomous

In the original post, I had the Bite card. However, I dropped Bite for Hunter's Hearing, Quick Response and Stealthy, to give Shadow an extra edge. Once again, as with the L'na Dawn, a L'na Twilights character deck is going to filled with defensive cards, like Invisible Hunter, and pre-req's like Investiture of Maoru. So, let's take a look at the Swap Buffer:

Swap Buffer- 30 UP

Banshee Scream
Confusion
Cursed Defense
Destroy Undead
Fearful Mien
Mental Susurrus
Mind Control
Mind Lash
Mind Probe
Mind Reading
Phantasm
Sleep
Soul Blast
Soul Rend
Soul Sap
Soul Storm
Supernatural Sight

Alright, so I haven't changed the Swap Buffer much. Shadow's bag of tricks is pretty much the same, but once again, there are several Maoru cards that I didn't (but probably should) include. The thing to keep in mind with Twilights is control. Control is the key to success, and the Gifts of Maoru give you control. Now, I didn't include any additional powers, but the Gifts of Maoru could be very well supported with the Flux Horror Powers, giving your Twilight an extra edge.

Well, I think that's about it. I love building L'na, and I highly encourage you to experiment with your own builds. However, if you want to use my example or even my style, go right ahead. It works pretty well for me. If you want to purchase any of these decks, check out the Untold Online Store: http://www.untoldthegame.com/store or your FLGS. Your store doesn't carry Untold? Send them here: http://www.untoldthegame.com/retailers, and make your town part of the Untold community.

Next week, we'll be covering how to build Bad Guys! Until then, thanks for reading and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment