Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Going Viral: Untold Goes Electronic

It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of electronics. The Nook for example. I would never want a Nook. There is something about physically holding a book; the smell of the paper pages, the texture, even the worn and broken spine all contribute to part of my reading experience. Gaming is much the same for me, as well. While I like video games, I prefer table tops. I prefer to actually see the person I'm playing against; to actually hold the pieces, cards, or dice in my hands. And Untold is no exception. I love to actually hold the cards, sort through them, build decks. So, you're asking yourself, what could I possibly want with something like, say, the Untold PDFs? Well, I'm glad you asked. While I don't see them ever replacing my physical collection, I can see a number of uses in having the Untold PDFs. So, let's talk about them.


The first reason that jumps to mind is obvious: replacement cards. Let me go into little more detail. At this past years Imagicon and ConCarolinas, the Untold gang was really busy running multiple demos at a time, usually with packed tables in a packed gaming hall. So, with dozens of bodies coming and going, and the GMs (who were usually making up three or four games on the fly) constantly borrowing cards from each other, and not to mention the games we tried to have during our downtime, cards got misplaced. An Untold PDF is useful for printing off replacement cards. Missing a copy of a certain minion? Need an extra copy of a certain power? No problem, you've got it in PDF form.


Another good reason ties in with the first: Extra cards for demos. Once again, I've have several demos when I needed another L'na, or Klik, or Churl. The Untold PDF provides you with the original Starter Set for well under half the price of the physical version. This way, you can keep extra starter decks, minions, aspects, and banes in case you need more. Trust me, it's always a good idea to keep extras around.


Finally, my last reason to invest in Untold PDFs might be a little more eccentric, but to me, just as much of a valid point as the others. Ever been visiting friends or family and told them about Untold? Ever had those same friends or family actually want to play a game but you don't have your cards available? Got a computer handy? Then just download the Untold PDF, print it out and start up a game! Easy as that.


So, to wrap things up, Untold is ever expanding and growing; both with product and with fans. And the Untold PDFs help the Untold fanbase grow and expand in new ways. If you haven't invested in the PDFs yet, I highly suggest you do so.


That's it for this week. I've got other Untold projects to work on. Until next week, thanks for reading and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment